Is there an adorable pet stealing your thunder at the office? You’re not alone: Office pets are on the rise – A 2010 study done by researchers at Central Michigan University showed having an office dog increases trust and teamwork amongst coworkers.
Having a work pet can boost company morale – nothing bonds coworkers together like kvetching about dog poop under their desks! But how are you supposed to get your boss’ attention when there’s a furry ball of love hogging the spotlight? Here’s how to know if the office bitch is upstaging you.
1. In the past month, your company’s social media strategist has retweeted exactly 97 photos of Fluffy and only one of you … holding Fluffy.
2. No one talks about “family values” when the office dog gets knocked up.
3. Your work birthday party gets postponed because someone is in labour and “it would be rude to make her share her special day with someone else.”
4. The dog gets taken outside for a walk every time she interrupts someone’s presentation. You get a lecture about being supportive.
5. Her office is bigger than yours.
6. She has her own parking spot. You have to park three blocks away.
7. There are three dog beds, six water bowls and nine chew toys at the office but you share one hole punch with 47 coworkers.
8. She gets organic, artisan dog treats at morning meetings. You get stale bagels with cream cheese that may or may not be past their “best before” date.
9. This year’s corporate retreat is being held at a dog park … and you’re not invited.