How to sum up 2020? Eventful? Tumultuous? Well, we’re all certainly looking forward to the clock striking 12:00:01 on January 1st. Here’s to a happy and hopeful 2021.
But, 2020 also saw us launch Edify and, since our big rebrand and relaunch, we’ve been tracking the most clicked stories on our website. Many of them were buzz pieces that were published over the past few months, but there are a few oldies-but-goodies in this list, which show that great feature writing is a timeless art.
We are a new magazine, with a difference – because we also have a history that we celebrate.
1. Top 40 Under 40 Our annual Top 40 is always a big hit. But this year, our online video event and reveal of this year’s class was over the top.
2. 97th Heaven Our look inside Connor McDavid’s crib created a national Twitter trend, months after the story first came out.
3. The SCTV Monument is a Reality Our magazine joined forces with local community advocates back in early 2012 to begin the process of erecting a monument that would honour SCTV‘s Edmonton history. In 2020, sculptor Ritchie Velthuis’s Bob and Doug took their seats downtown. Take off, eh!
4. January 8, 2020 The cover story from the first issue of Edify; this is a long, heartbreaking look back at the shooting down of a passenger jet over Tehran – one that claimed the lives of so many Canadians.
7. Best Dressed 2020 We brought together a group of fashionistas and tastemakers, and they made lists of who they thought were some of the best-dressed people in the city. We featured those who made the cut.
8. Irie Foods Edmontonians love the latest trends in fine dining. They also love to salute family-run spots that are the lifeblood of our neighbourhoods. And the Ricketts family fits that bill.
9. The Rise of Ghost Kitchens What are ghost kitchens? They’re places that exist only to make food for delivery. And the delivery-only model has boomed in Edmonton.
10. A Modern Family A blast from the past; this 2015 piece on Jamie Sale and David Pelletier proves how much this city still loves our homegrown gold medallists.
11. Growing Up Comrie This was a cover story from 2013 that was nominated for awards. The cover was an award winner. And it still attracts readers, more than half a decade later.
12. An Ode to YEG Before we rebranded the magazine to Edify, we said farewell to our Avenue name with a special issue we put out in summer of 2020. We asked a number of prominent Edmontonians about what they love best about the city, and what they miss the most during the pandemic.
13.If You Hear a Strange Humming Sound, You’re Not Alone What is “The Hum?” Well, some of us hear a constant hum or droning noise. And there are people who are actually investigating this phenomenon. Is the hum in our heads, or is there a source for what’s in our ears?
15. The Reinvention of Ben Staley The Edmonton chef bets again on another small restaurant with an interactive dining experience. Yarrow was an eatery that promised an intimate evening.
16. Is Edmonton Razing its Mid-Century Modern Legacy? When it comes to buildings 100 years and older, we understand the importance of preserving history. But, this city has an array of interesting mid-century modern homes and buildings. Are they being demolished before we can truly appreciate their historic value?