1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
2. Add hot water to flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork until clumps form.
3. Add cold water and stir just until dough starts to come together.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently for 2 minutes and shape into a ball.
5. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and let stand for 1 hour.
6. Combine green onions and cilantro in a bowl; set aside.
7. Unwrap and transfer dough to a clean surface. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
8. On a clean surface roll out each ball into a circle about 8 inches in diameter.
9. Spread about 1/2tsp sesame oil evenly over each circle. Sprinkle 1/4cup green onion mixture over each.
10. Roll up one circle, jelly-roll fashion, forming a log. Starting with one end of log, shape into a tight coil. Repeat procedure with remaining circles.
11. On a clean surface, roll out each coil into a circle about 5 inches in diameter.
12. Brush both sides of cakes with canola oil.
13. Grill cakes in batches over medium-high heat on natural gas barbecue until grill-marked and browned on both sides, about 2 – 3 minutes per side.
14. Cut into wedges. Serve with Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce. Makes 32 wedges.
Cook’s Note: Raw green onion cakes may be frozen for up to 1 month. If freezing, layer green onion cakes with parchment paper in an airtight container. Do not thaw before cooking.
Spicy Soy Dipping Sauce
1/4cup soy sauce
2 tbsp water
1 1/2tsp packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2tsp rice vinegar
1 1/2tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
1 1/2tsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1. Whisk together all ingredients until blended. May be refrigerated for up to 4 days. Makes about cup.
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp grated lime peel
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 thawed sushi-grade halibut fillets (about 5 oz/150 g each)
1 fresh pineapple, ends removed
Pinch freshly ground pepper
1. To prepare marinade, combine lime juice, oil, jalapeno pepper, soy sauce, lime peel and ginger in a large heavy zip-lock plastic bag.
2. Add halibut and squeeze bag to coat halibut with marinade; seal bag. Let stand for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, soak four 12 inch pieces of butcher’s twine in hot water for 30 minutes; set aside.
4. Using a sharp knife and cutting top to bottom, cut long strips of peel about 3 inches wide from pineapple; reserve pineapple for another use. There should be 4 strips; set aside.
5. Remove halibut from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle halibut with salt and pepper.
6. Place each halibut fillet on a pineapple strip. Cover fillets with remaining pineapple strips. Tie pineapple strips and halibut together with butcher’s twine, forming bundles.
7. Place bundles on barbecue grid on natural gas barbecue. With lid down, cook halibut over medium-high heat until a meat thermometer registers 135F, about 5 – 6 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
8. Cut and discard butcher’s twine; discard pineapple strips. Serve halibut immediately. Do not keep leftover halibut. Serves 2.
Cook’s Note: Secure halibut between pineapple strips immediately before cooking, as pineapple contains an enzyme that can over-tenderize meat if left to stand.
Grilled Peach Shortcake
1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp slivered fresh mint
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 cups sliced, peeled peaches
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 frozen pound cake, thawed
2 tbsp butter, softened
1. Whisk together brown sugar, vinegar, mint and vanilla in a large bowl until brown sugar is dissolved. Add peaches and toss gently to combine. Let stand for at least 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in icing sugar until stiff; refrigerate.
2. Cut cake into 8 slices. Spread butter evenly over both sides of cake slices.
3. Grill cake slices over medium heat on natural gas barbecue, turning once, until lightly browned.
4. To serve, place cake slices on individual dessert plates. Spoon peach mixture over cake slices. Top with whipped cream.